Corrections & Balancing For The
Occiput on the atlas
Atlas on the axis
Rest of the cervical vertebrae
Correction Of Somatic Dysfunction.
Accurate Joint Assessment Techniques.
Effective And Gentle Manual Technique.
Learn To Bring Joints Into Alignment And Relax Muscles.
Covers Neck, General Shoulder Area, Thoracic Vertebrae And Ribs.
Shows Many Releases For The Neck & Shoulder Region That Can Be Done Before The Joints Are Addressed.
How To Correct Rib Dysfunctions Including Ribs That Are Stuck In Inhalation, Exhilation & Compressed Ribs.
Learn To Assess And Re-align Each Thoracic Vertebrae.
Easily Incorporated Into Any Treatment Protocol.
3-D Animations, Filmed In Widescreen.
Taught By Tom Ockler P.T.
Format DVD - Region: 0, Worldwide. Run Time: 3+ Hours.
Muscle Energy Technique is one of the most effective and gentle manual techniques for the correction of somatic dysfunction. MET uses accurate assessment techniques to discover if a joint is stuck out of alignment. Then the practitioner positions the patient and asks for gentle resistance in such a way that the joint is brought back into alignment, and the tight muscle relaxed. This technique can be incorporated easily into any treatment protocol, and is an excellent addition to any practice.
This beautifully produced DVD covers detailed techniques for the neck, general shoulder techniques, and specific treatments for the thoracic vertebrae and the ribs. This includes techniques for balancing the occiput on the atlas, the atlas on the axis, and other techniques for the rest of the cervical vertebrae. Also, Tom shows techniques to assess and re-align each thoracic vertebrae, and how to correct rib dysfunctions such as ribs that are stuck in inhalation, exhilation, and compressed ribs. On the muscular side, this DVD shows many releases for the neck/shoulder region that can be done before the joints are addressed. If you want to know to to assess each part of the body and then perform gentle techniques to correct the dysfunction, this dvd is for you!
1. Introduction - This lesson is the introduction to Muscle energy technique. In this lesson Tom describes the anatomical basis for MET, including muscle spindle cell, joint mechanics and muscle function. Tom also describes the difference between MET to release a muscle, and MET to release a joint (both of which are covered in this class). Finally Tom discusses how much pressure to use, and contraindications for the work.
2. Cervical & Shoulder - In this lesson Tom shows both muscle MET and articular MET. First he shows how to release all the muscles in the cervical area and shoulder, including the pectoralis major, lattisimus dorsi, trapezius, levator scapula and others. He then shows how to evaluate the sterno-clavicular joint for dysfunction, then the gleno-humeral joint itself. Finally he shows to evaluate the cervical vertebrae for dysfunction, and demonstrates how to get the vertebrae moving properly.
3. Thoracic - This lesson shows the movement of the thoracic vertebrae and how to perform evaluation in the seated and laying position. This evaluation uses motion to discover if the vertebrae is stuck in flexion or extension on the right or left. Then he demonstrates techniques to free the restriction and get the vertebrae functioning properly.
4. Rib Cage - This this lesson Tom demonstrates how to evaluate the rib cage. This includes evaluation for inflair, bucket handle, and pump handle motion. Once the general evaluation is complete, he shows to to assess each rib to determine if the rib is stuck in inspiration or expiration. Once this is determined, he shows how to release the rib to restore proper function.
5. Breathing - In this short lesson, Tom talks specifically about belly breathing as opposed to correct functional breathing that uses the rib cage and keeps the ribs healthy and moving.
About Real Bodywork
Sean Riehl, who founded Real Bodywork over 20 years ago, has taught massage nationally, presented at the AMTA California conference, written multiple articles appearing in Massage Magazine and the Biotone Newsletter, as well as being the author of a number of videos on massage.