Muscle Energy Technique is one of the most effective and gentle manual techniques for the correction of somatic dysfunction. MET uses accurate assessment techniques to discover if a joint is stuck out of alignment. Then the practitioner positions the patient and asks for gentle resistance in such a way that the joint is brought back into alignment, and the tight muscle relaxed. This technique can be incorporated easily into any treatment protocol, and is an excellent addition to any practice.
This beautifully produced DVD covers detailed techniques for the neck, general shoulder techniques, and specific treatments for the thoracic vertebrae and the ribs. This includes techniques for balancing the occiput on the atlas, the atlas on the axis, and other techniques for the rest of the cervical vertebrae. Also, Tom shows techniques to assess and re-align each thoracic vertebrae, and how to correct rib dysfunctions such as ribs that are stuck in inhalation, exhilation, and compressed ribs. On the muscular side, this DVD shows many releases for the neck/shoulder region that can be done before the joints are addressed. If you want to know to to assess each part of the body and then perform gentle techniques to correct the dysfunction, this dvd is for you!
1. Introduction - This lesson is the introduction to Muscle energy technique. In this lesson Tom describes the anatomical basis for MET, including muscle spindle cell, joint mechanics and muscle function. Tom also describes the difference between MET to release a muscle, and MET to release a joint (both of which are covered in this class). Finally Tom discusses how much pressure to use, and contraindications for the work.
2. Pelvis, Muscular - This lesson demonstrates how to release all the muscles that surround and support the pelvis. This includes the gluteus medius and minimus, obturators, gemelli, quadratus femoris, tensor fascia latae, rectus femoris, adductors, psoas and iliacus and more. Using muscle energy technique to release the muscles is incredible efficient and effective.
3. Pelvis, Articular - This lesson shows the anatomy and movement of the ilium, ischium and pubic bones (as the pelvis). Tom shows a full evaluation for each bone, including ilium upslip, downslide, inflair, outflair, and rotation, and inferior or superior pubis. For each assessment, he shows how to bring the structure into balance, as well as the proper treatment order.
4. Sacrum - This lesson shows how to evaluate the sacrum in terms of flexion, extension and rotation. The axis of rotation is discussed, and the biomechanics of the SI joint. Then Tom demonstrates techniques to align the sacrum.
5. Lumbar - This lesson discusses the anatomy and movement patterns of the lumbar spine. Tom shows how to evaluate each lumbar vertebrae and determine if it is stuck in flexion or extension on the right or left. Then he demonstrates how to return the vertebrae to proper movement using muscle energy techniques.
6. Breathing - In this short lesson, Tom talks specifically about belly breathing as opposed to correct functional breathing that uses the rib cage and keeps the ribs healthy and moving.
If you would like to watch this video set online, we have partnered with Real Bodywork to offer a streaming version of both MET titles together. Please click here:
Muscle Energy Technique - Upper & Lower Body Massage 2 Video Streaming Set
A new window will open, and you will be taken to the Real Bodywork site via a secure link.